I’ve been away from blogging for a while (yeah I know you didn’t even notice I was gone) due to the demands of editing and formatting.
Now that The Lilean Chronicles series is complete, I have the first volume in a brand new space opera series coming out very shortly. I’ve recently completed the final edits and spent several hours yesterday formatting for smashwords, KDP and then battled with the paperback formatting. Formatting for paperback always gives me grey hairs but as I do more and more, I get to win the battle more quickly each time.
It’s those damn headers and footers; I hate them and they hate me.
I’ve found out through trial and error that it’s all down to where you have section breaks and where you have page breaks. I put all the front matter (title page, copyright notice, dedication) as one complete section with page breaks between the pages and a section break at the end. Then I put all the chapters as a second complete section, with page breaks at the end of each chapter and a section break after THE END. Any endpapers (coming soon etc) goes as a third seperate section.
Headers and footers are only required in the actual chapters. You don’t have page numbers or the book title at the top of the page for instance, on the front matter or the end papers. I’ve always found that Word keeps putting headers and footers on my front matter when I put it on the chapter section, but then when I remove them from the front matter, they also disappear from the chapters, ARGH..!
Then I happened to find out that the headers and footers have ‘same as previous’ on them by default, which means Word automatically makes them the same as the previous section. So, if you want them in the chapters, Word will also put them in the previous section (the front matter) because it defaults to ‘same as previous’ all the time.
With me so far?
What you have to do is turn off the ‘same as previous’ thing and then it will just put the headers and footers in the current section.
You must also make sure that the page numbering is also set to start at number 1 (it defaults to 2 sometimes) and that you unclick ‘continue from last section’ and then click ‘number first page’.
It all sounds very complicated and it is, far too bloody complicated but I am determined to get this. It only took me a couple of hours battling this time. Hopefully when I release my NaNoWriMo novel in July, I’ll get it right first try.
Now that the formatting is done I just have to wait for my cover art guy to do his bit, although I just found out he has the flu so he may not be well enough to do this one. I plan to publish within the next two weeks so if he isn’t well enough I’ll be doing it myself. Thankfully he’s taught me so much over the last four books that I feel pretty confident I can do a front cover without a problem. I’ve been doing digital fan art for ages and this particular cover is a simple design; just one complete photo with text for the title and author name.
I hope he’s recovered by July as my NaNoWriMo novel cover is quite a complicated one..!